Wednesday, November 16, 2011

1. If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?

A pencil is about 7 or 8 inches in length. A blender (at least the container portion) is about 10 inches high. I don't think a blender is a full 12 inches deep (again the container which is where mini-me is captured). If I am 7.5 inches tall (and I have the same proportions I have now 5'8"), my armspan is enough to grab the rim of the blender and, with appropriate fitness/strength, pull myself (mini-me) up. The rim of the blender would be at my waist and I can fling one leg over the side, then another leg, then sit on the rim and contemplate how to jump down safely to the counter. The jump down is where it gets tricky and I could injure myself. To avoid risk of injury, I should jump ready to tumble into a somersault. There is also risk of injury in falling onto the blades of the blender as I make my escape, so I should tear off a bit of clothing to wrap around my hands to reduce slippage on the glass rim and, if I have a jacket, cover up the blades of the blender so that should I fall, I can make a second attempt to escape. Business is about anticipation of risk and risk avoidance through planning.

Is the puzzle deceptively easy? Am I right about the proportions of a pencil and blender. If a person is the height of a pencil, the length of their arms should give them the ability to maneuver as I've described. Oops, time....

No comments:

Post a Comment